Prevent Dryer Vent Fires
t's no surprise that having a fire within the home can damage anything in its path. Your household dryer is an excellent example of this since many homeowners deal with dryer related fires all the time. The usual culprit would be a clogged dryer vent. However, the fire is preventable if you care for your dryer throughout the year, ensuring that its vent is clean and clear of buildup.
The local fire department receives over 15,000 calls every single year for home-related fires and smoke issues. The unfortunate part is that most fires are due to clogged dryer vents within the home. Some of these fires are minimal, but others have been damaging when not caught in time.
Some homeowners are new to appliances, and home maintenance doesn't know that their dryer needs care. Dryers work by creating hot air in the drum itself, and this is the hot air going to dry up your clothing. You might know the small lint trap on your dryer when you open its door, but excess lint passes through this filter and goes through the dryer vent. The dryer vent is located on the outside of your home so that the hot air goes outside. From dryers being so hot, heat attracts lint built up in that area and causes a fire. Fires related to clogged dryer vents can generate tons of damage to a person's home. The best way to prevent fires, in this case, is to clean the lint hose weekly. Special tools and services exist that can help to get this particular vent cleaned for you.
Warning Signs that Your Dryer is Clogged and May Result in a Fire
- If it takes longer than 45 minutes to dry your clothing, it could be a sign that the dryer vent is clogged.
- Your clothes are roasting hot to the touch after they have gone through a dry cycle.
- The flapper on the dryer's vent may not open when the appliance is on.
Preventing a Fire with Your Dryer
- You should clean the vent of your dryer at least twice each year.
- Make sure to clean the lint trap inside the dryer before each cycle.
- For those individuals who're noticing any of the warning mentioned above signs, make sure to contact a professional company to repaired and clean the appliance.
For those homeowners who aren't lucky to catch the warning signs in time, fire damage can be a daunting thing to clean up on your own. Professionals of SERVPRO come in handy, and they can work on your home's fire restoration when it is most convenient for you. Make sure to contact SERVPRO at the first sign of fire damage so that issues are resolved immediately.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Greater Carrollwood / Citrus Park is locally owned and operated—so we are part of the Carrollwood / Citrus Park community. Additionally, we're apart of a national network of over 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located throughout the country to respond to large-scale disasters.